Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

November {a month of to-do's}

Holy crap it's November. Like I didn't see that one coming. But really, you wait all of October for Halloween =) and then when it's over it's suddenly the month of Thanksgiving. How does that happen??

And then I pretend like it doesn't happen every year, which it does. But this year it's so much worse because I (we) have so much more to do. At the beginning of the pregnancy, I was thinking "9 months is forever long....look at how much time I have to get all these things done!"
Wrong. So wrong.

So now it's November, and Baby R will be here in approximately 101-ish days (or sooner if he continues growing the way he is). What the hell have I been doing all this time?! Okay, I've been doing plenty and I'm actually being slightly over-dramatic. But this is how my brain works. I do much better under pressure and after small moments of panic. Kicks me into gear. Those of you that know me know I'm a list-maker. One of those "I already did it, but I'll write it down anyway just so I can cross it off my list" list makers. So I think by posting my to-do lists on here, I will be hereby publicly accountable.

Baby Roberts To-Do List
Find a pediatrician
Wall art for the nursery
Wash baby clothes
Open baby items and organize nursery
Find kitchen space for bottles
Re-do bathroom?
Hospital tour/pre-admission paperwork

So when I write them out, not so bad right? 
Finding a pediatrician is my top priority right now. I have suggestions from many of my friends, and think I have an idea of who I want to see in my mind, I just need to schedule an appointment. Now that we've decided on a name, I can get some wall art for the nursery! I want metal letters, I just need to find some that I like that are reasonable.
Washing baby clothes is actually going to have to wait. I've washed blankets, white onesies, and socks. Everything else I'm waiting on because Baby R is measuring big, and who knows what clothes he'll fit into? Is that silly? Should I go ahead and wash the newborn clothes I have?
I'm waiting to organize the nursery too, because I still have 3(!) more showers. Once those are done I'll be able to sort and see what I'm working with.
Finding cabinet space for bottles and things will be a little difficult since we're a little limited on space anyway. Maybe I should wait until I'm nesting??
I can't decided if I'm going to re-do our hall bathroom yet. I guess if I find a shower curtain I fall in love with, I will. But this is our guest bathroom and really, is the baby going to care that the curtain isn't animal print? Doubtful. So it's low on the priority list.
As for the hospital tour, that can be taken care of easily. Probably some time in December. We will deliver at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, which does tours of their L&D units on Wednesday nights. Super helpful because they show you exactly where to park and sign in. And during your tour you fill out paperwork so when you get there and you're actually in labor you have less to do.


Personal To-Do List
Nursing class
Christmas shopping!!
Finish home-made Christmas presents
Maternity pictures (scheduled!)
Pack hospital bags

This one, luckily, is much shorter. Although I feel like I'm leaving about half of it off. I just can't remember what else should be there!
The husband and I decided to opt out of childbirth classes. They're expensive at the hospital where we'll deliver, carried over several weeks, and he will just whine through them. He's already mentally preparing himself for passing out and missing the delivery of our firstborn child. Because of our jobs, we're both certified in adult/infant CPR which makes me feel better about it. However, I talked to a couple of friends who said the most valuable part (or part they wished they'd gone to) was about nursing. So I've signed up for the nursing class at the hospital where I work, and I think that will help me out without causing him distress :)
Christmas shopping. Enough said. I've started and finished one person, and that is all. So we still have approximately 10-ish people to buy for. I love Christmas shopping for people but no one will tell me what they want this year! My other problem is on my days off (like yesterday) I go out to get some of it done, realize I don't know what they want, and buy stuff for myself (like yesterday). So I need to get serious about it.
A couple of people are getting homemade presents (remember I said I was crafty?) so I have a quilt and several scarves to finish. Those are easy things though, and the quilt will probably get done today or this weekend.
Maternity pictures are scheduled! Super excited to be working with Nicole Gagliano for the next year since she's doing our maternity and newborn-1 year pictures! Hope it's not freezing or raining on December 4th!
Ok last but not least, the hospital bag. I know it's waaayyyy to early to pack a back. But I'm a planner, so I already have a list of things typed out that need to be put in my bag and the baby's bag. I've done my homework because clearly I've never done this before and I would have packed entirely too much unnecessary crap, causing my husband to say "Really Rheanne??" as he attempted to drag both bags to the car while I'm in labor. So now that my super-organized (and seriously reduced) lists are made, and that's left to do is pack. That will occur sometime in January. And it does give me the opportunity to find a couple of little luxury items I want, cute new slippers, a new robe, and some button front nightgowns =)

Phew! Ever feel better after you write something out? I think that's why I started blogging to begin with. Is there anything I should be adding to my lists??

Happy November!





No comments:

Post a Comment