Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

{Hospital Bag}


Since I'm officially tired of blogging about breastfeeding, let's visit a happier subject! When I was in the last couple of months of pregnancy, I read tons of blogs and articles on what to take to pack for the hospital. The blogs were by far the most helpful (hello real people!) so I decided to post on the subject as well. 

I am notoriously an over-packer. I'm that person who likes to take 3 changes of clothes for every day I'm gone, plus pajamas. So when it came to packing my hospital bag I automatically found myself thinking of a gazillion things to take with me. After reading info online, I narrowed it down to what I considered necessities (which was still too much) and typed out a list. I typed a list for a reason. As it got closer to my due date and I added things to my bag, I crossed them off the list. This list stayed on top of the bag in the nursery. It worked out exactly how I wanted it to, because my water broke in the middle of the night and I was super sleepy. I was able to grab the list and see what needed to be added to the bag at the last minute before we walked out the door. This was also a back-up for my husband in case we had some crazy labor scenario and he had to meet me with the bag somewhere. Then he would know what to pack as well. What can I say...I like to be prepared.

Mommy Bag

Pajamas: After you deliver that sweet baby, you won't be feeling so hot. What will make you feel better is changing out of that sweet open back, 4 sizes too big hospital gown and into something you own. I recommend a pair of pajama pants, yoga pants (for during the day when you have visitors), and maybe a nightgown. If you plan on nursing or attempting to nurse, get at least one nursing tank to wear and a button down nightgown. It just makes life easier.
Going Home Outfit: Unless your Heidi Klum you won't be back in your favorite skinny jeans for the car ride home. Bring something comfy (again with the yoga pants), maternity clothes (I was around my 6 month size when we left), or a loose dress if it's warm outside. Remember there is always a possibility of a c-section, and you don't want clothes that are going to rub your incision. We took a picture before we left but I honestly was so ready to go home I didn't care what I was wearing. You won't be going shopping on the way home, so you don't need to get all dolled-up ;)
Slippers/Flip Flops: I stuck with flip flops because they give you tons of fluids and you will most likely not be any less swollen after you deliver your baby. Slippers may be snug depending on what type you have. Lots of blogs I read said to bring those socks with grippers on the bottom. Let me just say that I work in a hospital and thinking about walking around one in socks freaks me out. Put some shoes on.
Underwear: Obviously. But go buy yourself some that are full coverage and that you won't miss if you have to get rid of them. You'll be bleeding like an extremely heavy period afterwards, and you'll have to wear thick pads. So if you want your own underwear and not those sexy mesh panties the hospital gives you as a prize for making it through labor, I suggest getting some that will work with those pads.
Nursing Bras: And for real, go buy a size bigger. I should have bought 2 sizes bigger apparently, but who knew. Take one for during the day that has some support (no underwire, it's uncomfortable), and then one to sleep in. Target has cute, comfy nursing bras for regular wear and sleep. 
Robe: During the day I wore pajama/yoga pants, nursing tanks, and a robe over the tank. This worked easiest because you're chest will automatically increase in size and wearing a nursing tank and bra alone made me feel...indecent. Especially will all those Sunday afternoon visitors =) Plus the lactation nurse will come in the middle of lunch when you have 12 people in your room and want to teach you how to breastfeed and pump, and the robe is easy on, easy off.
Pillow: Bring your own. Hospital pillows are approximately 2 inches thick. Enough said. (And a good tip, buy a cute pillow case. I bought a lavender one because our sheets on our bed are brown and it would look bland in pictures later. Vain? Maybe. Plus I didn't want to mess up my pillowcase from home).
Toiletries: I never saw any toiletries in my bathroom, although I'm sure there was some shampoo and soap floating around had I asked. But my first shower was so much better with my own stuff. Plus my husband appreciated having shower stuff to use too. Just don't bring anything with a really strong scent, your baby might not like it. Also, make sure you pack some Chapstick. Hospital air is dry anyway, and the mouth breathing while you're pushing will have you wishing you had it. I literally stopped between pushes and had Cody fish mine out of my bag.
Make-up: Even a little will make you feel better the next day. Remember, pictures!
Hair Dryer: I didn't get all fancy and fix my hair, but I did take a blow dryer so it wouldn't be soaking wet when visitors came.
Ponytail Holders/Headbands: For delivery, if it's long like mine was you may want all your hair out of your face. And like I just said, it'll be easier later to just dry your hair and pull it back. You probably won't feel like fixing your hair the next day. I definitely picked the extra sleep over getting ready.


Baby Bag

Oufits: Lots of people suggested multiple cute outfits for the hospital since the baby gets to stay in the room with you. Our hospital put Cade in a onesie and provided a Sleep Sack for him, and that's pretty much what he wore. Newborns sleep pretty much around the clock after they're first born, so he stayed wrapped up. We did bring outfits but he never wore them.  You might want to pack a cute hat/headband for your babe though, because those hospital ones are ugly!
Mittens: Cade came out in serious need of having his fingernails clipped, which we couldn't do until we got home. We kept mittens on him while we were at the hospital so he wouldn't scratch his cute face off.
Socks: I'm sure the nursery would've given us some had we asked, but we brought our own.
Swaddle: Like I said, Baptist provided a Sleep Sack while we were there. If you aren't sure about your hospital, you may want to bring some sort of swaddle blanket with you just in case. Babies (generally) love to be swaddled.
Boppy: Truly a lifesaver. After 15 hours of labor and pushing for 3 of them (on 2 hours of sleep) I was literally too tired to hold Cade in position to really nurse him. The Boppy allowed me to rest him where he needed to be. Not only is it great for nursing, but also for visitors. We had grandparents visit who used to Boppy to help them hold Cade too.
Pacifier: I packed 2 different types. Your hospital will have pacifiers available if you ask, but they're most likely the Avent Soothies. There is nothing wrong with these, but if your kid is like mine, he's picky and only likes a certain type. It took us a couple of tries to figure out which one he'd take.
Going Home Outfit: There will be pictures, so find something cute. I was totally unprepared because at every ultrasound they told me Cade was a big baby, in the 97th percentile in fact. I packed a really cute 0-3 month outfit for the last day. Too bad when we left the hospital he weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces, and  his clothes swallowed him. I had one newborn outfit with us, which was a pair of gray pants and a gray zip jacket that I bought 2 days before I went into labor on a whim. It was still big but wasn't falling off of him, so that's what he wore. By the way, don't bring that sweet gown Aunt whoever had monogrammed for you and try to take your kid home in it. Gown + Car seat = Nurse looking at you like you're a fool. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The hospital will have the other basic supplies you need, including diapers, wipes, blankets, an aspirator, brush, Vaseline (circumcision), and alcohol wipes (umbilical cord). Unless you're just particular about your own brands... you won't need to pack any of that stuff.

Extras

Camera: A necessity. Don't forget a charger/extra batteries and the memory card!
Snacks: We packed trail mix, granola bars, and cookies so we'd have something to much on in between meals. Nice for whoever is staying at the hospital with you and parents who may visit for long periods of time.
Spare change: For the vending machine. The nurses will be more than happy to supply you (the patient) with drinks and snacks, but will probably frown if you ask for a Coke for everyone in the room. Have some change so your hubby can go get himself a drink without making a trek to the cafeteria (which isn't open in the middle of the night).
Chargers: Obviously! You know your phone will be blowing up with calls and texts of people wanting to see that baby!
Car Seat: We put ours in my car the week before I delivered, so it would be there and we'd both know how it went in and came out of the base. You'll have to have the baby in the car seat before you leave so the nurse can check and make sure your he or she is secure. You'll then get walked to the car to make sure you know how to strap that baby in!

Anything you would add??



No comments:

Post a Comment