Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Equal.

By now you've probably seen those red and pink equal sign pictures on Facebook, and have figured out what they stand for. Marriage equality. If you're viewing this post through my Facebook, then you'll have noticed that I'm sporting it as well.


I don't use my Facebook for anything really deep or personal. Mainly cute baby pictures, stalking keeping up with people, and random posts. I feel like everyone has beliefs, and reasons for those beliefs. I didn't set up a Facebook account to try to change people's political or religious views.

But who knew a tiny picture could cause my newsfeed to blow up.
Well, I'm actually not that surprised.
I'm friends with some pretty passionate people.

That said, it did cause me to click the old "unfriend" button a couple of times for people who were being ugly. As entitled as you are to your opinion, you should also be respectful of others. No matter what side you stand for.

My opinion is that love is love. No matter how you look at it, it is what it is. You can't deny it. Any of you who have been in love can attest to that. And the beautiful thing about love is that it doesn't hurt anyone. You can argue with me that God intended for marriage to be between a man and a woman, and you may very well be right. But I don't feel (in my heart) that God would want us to deny people something that made them happy, if it didn't hurt anyone else. And on top of that, I don't feel like it's any of our places (nor the government's) to tell someone what they can and can't do in regards to love. Denying people marriage equality won't make them stop loving each other. What are we gaining by taking that away from them? 
Nothing.
But what are they losing?
What if it were you?

You can say "Well it's not me, I'm not gay."
What if you were?
Or your child?
Or someone you loved?
Would you want everyone to tell you no?
Would you wish that on your child?
Would you want the world rallying against your loved one?

I'm not trying to change people's opinions. I'm merely expressing my own. What I don't appreciate is rude people who use these situations to question other people's Christianity. My belief doesn't make me me any less of a Christian, and yours doesn't make you any more of one. Vice-versa. The amazing thing is that only you and God know what is in your heart. So who are we to judge?
And for those of you who like to argue and say,
"But it's a sin!"
The Bible tells us that no sin is greater than another.
I hope your glass house is shatter-proof.

"Love knows no limits"

2 comments: