Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

{Cade's Birth Story}

I'm taking time to sit and write this while my husband and the baby are asleep. At least one of us understands "sleep when the baby sleeps" :)

February 2, 2013

I guess this story actually started on February 1st. It was Friday night and your daddy and I had gotten home from eating dinner. While we were out, I said "this is probably our last meal, just the two of us." At 38 1/2 weeks pregnant, I was scheduled to work the next two days at the hospital and part of the next week. If I didn't go into labor on my own by February 10th, your due date, I was to be induced on February 11th. I had been trying everything I knew to get myself to go into labor and avoid induction, but nothing was working. You were stubborn and didn't want to see us yet! The funny part about all of this is that for months, your daddy had been saying "Cade will either be born February 2nd or February 4th." I have a feeling you will always listen to him better than me.

So after dinner, we came home and I got ready for bed since I had to be at work the next morning. Your daddy had worked overtime all week because of some storms, and he decided to go to bed early with me. He immediately fell asleep, while I did what I did every night for the last month I was pregnant with you. I laid awake and thought about you being born, how it would happen and what you would look like. I prayed for you to be healthy. And I tried to sleep, but I was more uncomfortable that usual. You were very much awake in my belly, rolling around, kicking, and punching. I tried everything to make you settle down and get myself comfortable but nothing worked. Everything just felt...different. I thought, "Maybe I'll go into labor tonight." I remember looking at the clock and thinking that it was 11 and I had to be up for work in about 5 1/2 hours, and shortly after I fell asleep.

My sleep didn't last long. I remember having a dream about being in labor and having my epidural put in when I was jolted awake by an odd feeling. It was 1:15 am and I quickly realized that my water had broken. By some miracle, I jumped up and to the bathroom without making a mess (something that your daddy was amazed by). I sat in the bathroom for a few minutes thinking "This can't be happening. Is this happening? Now?!" Up until this point I had no labor signs except for some non-painful contractions. I calmed myself for your daddy's sake and collected my thoughts. I had sworn from the beginning of my pregnancy that when I went into labor I would be as calm as possible, because I wanted the whole process to be enjoyable for everyone. Once I calmed myself down, I went and woke your daddy and told him my water broke. He quickly woke up and asked what we needed to do. I told him I wasn't having contractions yet so we had a little time. While he packed his bag for the hospital, I washed my face and put on some make-up (because I knew there would be lots of picture taking!). We got everything into the car and made our quiet trip to Nashville. There was no one on the road at 2:00 in the morning, and we had a nice drive together, talking about you and how excited we were to meet you today. 9 months of waiting for you was finally coming to an end!

After being checked out, we were admitted to the hospital about 3:30 in the morning. We called all your grandparents and uncles to let them know that you were ready to meet them. We were taken to a room, and everyone else arrived within the next couple of hours. By this point I started having contractions, but had not dilated past 5cm, which is where I was when they admitted me. At 7:30, the started me on Pitocin in my IV to speed things along, and that's exactly what happened. At 9 am, I was almost 7 cm and in quite a bit of pain. I got my epidural at this point and was much more comfortable. Our wonderful nurse Elizabeth helped me change positions several times to get you to move, and then she encouraged me to take a nap. When she woke me at 10:15, I was 9 cm (and hadn't felt a thing!) and I was almost ready to push. Your daddy woke from his nap and you could tell he was so excited to finally get to see you! Little did we know you still weren't ready. I didn't actually start pushing until 1:00, because it took a little longer than we thought to get all the way to 10cm. Once I was there, we were ready to go! Your daddy was worried he would pass out during this part, but he was so excited to meet you that he stood beside me the whole time, holding my head and cheering me on. This part of delivery is what nurse Elizabeth referred to as my marathon, because I pushed for 2 hours and 45 minutes. You weren't a big baby, but you sure were hard to get out. I was upset because I was having so much trouble, but you were a champ through the whole thing and waited patiently for me. We had to take a little break in the middle when half my epidural wore off and I could feel my left side, but we fixed it and started again. Dr. Wingo came in after I had been pushing for 2 1/2 hours and told me that I could keep trying but we weren't making progress anymore. He wanted to use a vacuum (really just a small suction cup) on top of your head to help pull you out. I refused at that point, scared for you and frustrated with myself because I thought I wasn't strong enough to do what I needed to do. After Dr. Wingo left the room, I got very upset and started crying, which made it hard to push. Your daddy and nurse Elizabeth helped calm me down. They told me I had done everything I could and it was okay to use a little help getting you through this last part. I think it was your daddy who made my mind up when he said "Rheanne, it's time to meet him now, it's ok. You've done everything you can, let them help you."

I realized your daddy was right (don't tell him that) and agreed to let the doctor use the vacuum to get you out. Dr. Wingo came back and got everything ready for us. At 4:07 pm, you were born screaming. Your daddy cut your umbilical cord and you were laid on my chest so I could see you for the first time. You were wrinkly and a little purple, but you were beautiful and healthy and you were ours. I remember laughing and crying and not hearing a word anyone else said, except for your daddy who kept saying "He's so little!" At 6 pounds 12 ounces, 20 inches long, you were a little bitty thing with a big set of lungs. Nurse Elizabeth and nurse Catherine got you wiped off and let us keep you in the room with us. When I was feeling a little better and stronger, we let all your grandparents and family come see you. They had been waiting just as long as we had!

You are special because when people saw you, they immediately loved you. And we will all always love you just as much as the first time we met you.

















1 comment: